David Lam Library started a small fiction collection this summer and we have just added several new titles such as Cloud Atlas and Tigana. We also wanted to take this opportunity to expose our students to the wider UBC collections. We partnered with Koerner library to trial hosting selected fiction titles in the David Lam Library and Canaccord Learning Commons in order to highlight their wonderful fiction collection. David Lam Library librarians and staff were encouraged to recommend their favorite fiction titles from Koerner Library, and many of them can now be found on display in the CLC. In addition to being a lot of fun, fiction, including young adult fiction, is beneficial in supporting student success in writing and speaking in English. Additionally, studies have shown that book lovers live longer! According to a Yale study, people who read books have a 20% reduction in risk of mortality compared to people who do not read books. Longevity was not increased by reading newspapers! So we encourage you to borrow one of our fiction titles before this term starts getting really busy.
Here are some of the Koerner fiction titles currently on display at Lam library:
– Life of Pi : a novel / Yann Martel
– The war of Don Emmanuel’s nether parts : a novel / Louis de Bernières.
– The quiet American / Graham Greene
-The Great Gatsby / Stephen Matterson
-The age of innocence / Edith Wharton
– Pride and prejudice / Jane Austen
-Anne of Green Gables / Montgomery, L. M
– Brave New World / Aldous Huxley
– Scarlet Feather / Maeve Binchy
– Fluke, or, I know why the winged whale sings / Christopher Moore
-The arrival / Shaun Tan
– Fugitive pieces / Anne Michaels