The David Lam Library is pleased to take part in the multi-branch exhibit Scholarly Purr-suits: Cats and Dogs in the Library.
Our branch exhibit highlights the ways that cats, dogs, and other pets or animals intersect with business. Some books and studies acknowledge that our relationships with our pets can contribute positively to personal health and wellbeing. Some authors apply their observations of animals or human/animal interactions as ways to understand leadership or the dynamics of organizational behaviour. Animals feature prominently in advertising campaigns. Animals can also be significant social media influencers.
According to the Pet Food Association of Canada, Canada is a nation of pet lovers, with “over 13.7 million pets nationwide” (2015). There are many businesses in Canada specifically related to pets ranging from veterinary businesses, to pet food production and sales, to pet grooming, to pet-sitting and care. According to Euromonitor the sales of pet care products in Canada in 2019 totaled over 3.8 billion CAD (2019).
Enjoy exploring how our collection can help you learn more about pets and business. Visit the social media wall of fame to see top animal influencers. Send a high resolution photo of you and your pet to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll post it our space. Music lovers: some pet related music is available at the piano. The sheet music comes from LibraryMusicSource (https://resources.library.ubc.ca/page.php?details=librarymusicsource&id=688). Stay tuned for more pet-related events such as making your own pet rock at David Lam Library.
For more information about about other branch exhibits, check out the Rare Books and Special Collections blog post.
If you would like to do more research about pets, here are a few links to some of our business research databases.
- IBISWorld Industry Reports database has industry reports such as Pet Stores in Canada and Pet Grooming & Boarding in Canada.
- MarketResearch.com Academic database has many industry reports ranging from pet medications, pet oral care products, organic pet products, pet treats, pet insurance, pet grooming, Fish, Small Animal, Reptile, and Bird Products, and more.
- Business Source Ultimate database has scholarly articles, industry reports, company reports as well as country reports. Examples include MarketLine Company Profile for PetSmart, Inc and articles such as Growing pet owner interest in CBD calls for research.
- Passport GMID database has some additional reports such as Cat Food in Canada, Dog Food in Canada as well as statistics such as brand shares, % breakdown for pet food ingredients, and more.
- SimplyAnalytics database is an Internet-based mapping application that enables users to develop interactive thematic maps and reports using demographic, business, and marketing data. For instance, you can create a map of all Pet and Pet Supplies Stores in Vancouver (NAICS industry code 45391). To learn more about NAICS codes, check out this link.